In addition to offering a peaceful, kind, and quiet classroom with a low student-teacher ratio, and a structured, nurturing curriculum that encourages children to thrive, at RMS we go beyond the classroom to educate and empower our students. There are programs we offer on a continual basis and some experiences that are seasonal. The seasonal calendar allows the children to feel in tune with nature and the seasons.
- In house visit from the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium to learn about local marine life
- In house visit from Animal Encounters to learn about many different animals, including snakes, chinchillas, lizards, and baby alligators
- Fall field trip to go apple and pumpkin picking at Blue Jay Orchards
- Visit Snow Hill Farm to learn about farm life, see animals, plant cover crops, and learn about water conservation
- Visit New Canaan Nature Center to learn how maple syrup is made
Foreign language and culture is a large part of the RMS curriculum. We currently offer weekly French immersion classes. The children learn songs and expressions in French with native French speaker Ms. Catherine. Early foreign language exposure has proven to be immensely beneficial to brain development.
Every year our students take part in several community service projects. From decorating lunch bags for Meals on Wheels recipients, to singing Holiday songs at Founder’s Hall, to adorning Main St. windows with artwork, we ensure that our school gives back.
We have numerous cooking, baking, food prep and food tasting experiences and events throughout the school year. Food tasting allows children to learn about different foods, textures, and tastes. We involve children in preparing food on a daily basis. Parents are always surprised by how much even the littlest ones are able to do with the right tools. We use Montessori materials that allow them to chop, peel, and clean vegetables and fruits. Highlights include:
- Decorating pumpkins and making crafts for our delicious Harvest Festival Celebration
- Seasonal food tasting and food prep: baking apple pies and mini pumpkin pies, grating latkes and decorating holiday cookies, baking Irish soda bread
- Making vegetable soup for our Annual Family Thanksgiving Celebration
- Celebrating International Day of Peace: An amazing program where RMS students join in song with Montessori students from around the world on International Day of Peace
- Aldrich Museum Program for older students: a monthly visit to the Aldrich Museum to view the installations and create art in the Art Education Room
- Learning about Diwali and Indian culture, music and dance
- Celebrating Chinese New Year with art, food, and music
- Ms. Lisa provides a more traditional music curriculum including live music performances and music and movement class for all students
- Mr. K’s unique West African drumming classes for all students
- Holiday decorating and ornament making
- Interactive in-house program: Music of the Earth, A Celebration of World Cultures
- A visit from the Ashurst School of Irish Dance in celebration of St Patrick’s Day